Protect Your Family
Protect your family against accidental electrical contact or shock by observing the following safety practices:
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets in the kitchen, bathroom, outdoor receptacles and other water-access areas.
- A GFCI is a sensitive device which reacts immediately to a small electric-current leak by stopping the flow of electricity.
- Even when using GFCI outlets, do not place electrical appliances near water-holding and water-storage areas.
- Place safety covers on all unused wall outlets.
- Use proper wattage when replacing burned-out bulbs for lamps and lighting fixtures to prevent overheating and the risk of fire.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs immediately; never leave lamp sockets empty.
- Use an adapter with a ground tab for a three-pronged plug. Never attempt to remove the third prong.
- Avoid extension cords as a permanent means for wiring. Extension cords should be used only on a temporary basis.
- Do not connect multiple extension cords together.
- Never run extension cords underneath rugs, carpets or furniture. Walking on cords can lessen the durability of the cord and possibly cause a fire.
- Replace faulty electrical products.
- Never leave small appliances, such as hair dryers, curling irons, toasters, radios and TVs, within reach of small children and pets.
- Never use a fork or knife to remove food objects from a toaster.
- Keep heating pads and electric blankets on relatively low settings to avoid overheating.
- Never tuck in the sides or ends of an electric blanket.