Help With Your Bill
Winters can be long and cold in the Interior of Alaska. To serve you better, GVEA has compiled this list of organizations where possible energy assistance may be obtained.
- Salvation Army
- Operates on funding provided by United Way of the Tanana Valley and donations.
- By appointment only.
- 1602 10th Avenue
- Fairbanks, AK 99701
- (907) 452-5005 or (907) 452-3103
- State of Alaska Heating Assistance Program (HAP)
- Federally funded program, which operates from October 1 to April 30 each year.
- Payments are awarded beginning October 1.
- HAP Website: www.heatinghelp.alaska.gov
- Questions: 1-800-470-3058
- Application Status: 1-888-804-6330
- Fairbanks Office
- 675 7th Avenue, Fairbanks, AK 99701
- (907) 451-2850
- Juneau Office
- 400 Willoughby, Ste 301, Juneau, AK 99801
- (907) 465-3058
- This progam helps households pay a portion of home heating expenses. Households must have at least $200 in out-of-pocket heating costs and provide receipts for those costs before applying for the program.
- While GVEA is a resource for members (i.e. GVEA will provide a paper copy of the HAP application, when they are available), GVEA does not accept completed applications, turn the applications in for our members, or followup on the approval or outcome of the application, as this program is run by the State of Alaska.
- However, when requested by a member, GVEA will fax copies of invoices and shut-off notices to the State. It's the responsibility of the member to followup with HAP to ensure that the fax was successfully received.
Note: State of Alaska Division of Public Assistance offers year-round assistance. The contact info is the same as the Heating Assistance Program listed above.
- Tanana Chiefs Conference (TCC)
- 122 1st Avenue, Ste 600
- Fairbanks, AK 99701
- (907) 452-8251, ext. 3457
- Toll-free in Alaska: (800) 478-6822
- Outside Alaska: (800) 770-8251
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Note: Love INC
Monetary assistance is no longer offered. However, they do offer a Quality Life Education and Mentoring Program, which includes classes in managing finances, rental education, etc.
- 609 3rd Avenue, Fairbanks, AK 99701
- (907) 452-3876
Note: Information presented here was last updated October 2020.