The purpose of this page is to provide information specific to the COVID-19 virus as it relates to our members. Information will be added to this page as it becomes available, so check back to see what's new.
Reminder About Filing Financial Hardship Paperwork with GVEA [050120 GVEA Blog Post]
Update to Members on GVEA's Response to COVID-19 [032420 GVEA Blog Post]
The purpose of the funds is to provide emergency financial assistance to those directly impacted by loss of income due to COVID19. COVID-19 has had a devastating economic impact on many businesses and individuals across Alaska, and it is a top priority of the City of Fairbanks to help those in Fairbanks that have suffered losses. The kinds of expenses that can be submitted for reimbursement include: rent payments and utility payments for all categories of applicants, including individuals/families, and additionally, for businesses, cost of personal protective equipment, etc. The expenses must have been incurred between March 1, 2020 and May 31, 2020. Documentation required in the application process will include receipts/invoices for expenses, as well as proof of financial loss (for individuals) due to COVID19.
Applications will be accepted from July 1, 2020 through July 31, 2020 ... or until the fund is depleted.
- Residental Locations Within City Limits: Individuals and families may qualify for grants up to $5,000
NOTE: As of 8/11/20, the link still works; therefore, it appears that funds are still available for qualifiying individuals and families living within the City of Fairbanks.
- Commercial Businesses Within City Limits: Businesses may qualify for grants up to $100,000
- City of Fairbanks is accepting applications. You can be directed to their website by clicking here.
NOTE: It appears that funding offered to businesses has been depleted, since the link no longer works.
Links for Residential Members
GVEA's Residential Members Experiencing Financial Hardship
Members facing a financial hardship due to COVID-19 are urged to fill out the following two forms. You will need your GVEA member account number which is found on your billing statement.
- Message Explaining What Needs to be Submitted to GVEA
- COVID-19 Moratorium Certification Form
- COVID-19 Deferred Payment Agreement Form
- FAQs on COVID-19 Law
Alaska Housing Relief for Alaskans
Are you struggling with your mortgage or rent payments due to COVID-19? You may be eligible for financial assistance. $10 million has been set aside from the federal CARES program to help Alaskans avoid eviction or foreclosure. Applications for housing relief are now being accepted until 11:59pm Alaska time on Friday, June 26, 2020. To be redirected to that website, click here.
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Public Inquiries: 1-800-470-3058, 1-888-804-6330 (Outside Anchorage)
LIHEAP FY 2020 Benefit: Heating: $280 minimum; $4,900 max
LIHEAP Program Dates:
- Heating: October 1 - April 30
- Crisis: Year-round
- Weatherization: April 1 - Dec 31
Links for Commercial Members
Small Business Administration (SBA) Documents
- SBA Info and Guidance
- SBA Resource Reference Guide
- Alaska-Based SBA Participating Lenders
- SBA Coronavirus Relief Options (Paycheck Protection Program - PPP)
- Alaska Small Business Development Center COVID-19 Resource Center
- Alaska SBDC Overview of the Cornonavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act