Meter Replacement Project
For those members who have an AMI meter installed, you’ve now got these benefits:
- Improved outage detection and restoration efforts
- Your whole-house usage is recorded, just like your old meter
- Information is transmitted securely with encryption, which only includes meter number and amount of energy consumed
- You have access to usage data via GVEA’s Member Portal
Educational Campaign Running in the Summer of 2019
You may see some or all of the display ads that are running in a four-part series the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, which addresses Questions/Answers (Q&A) on the new meters. In case you missed any of the ads, here’s a link to the complete list of the Q&As:
As part of ongoing system improvements, GVEA is in the process of installing new meters. This project began in the fall of 2017, with the last meters expected to be installed by fall of 2019. The meters being replaced were installed nearly 20 years ago. This project will invest in new technology that will help GVEA operate more efficiently and improve outage restoration.
The upgraded meter system will provide more accurate information about outages. Data from the new meters will be incorporated into the Outage Management System. Dispatchers in GVEA’s power control center will be able to see which meters are energized and which are not, allowing them to better analyze outages and coordinate restoration. The new meters will also enable GVEA to perform several functions remotely, such as reading meters and performing connects and disconnects. GVEA plans to deploy the new meters to all of its more than 47,000 service locations.
The impact of the installation should be minimal to members. Members will be notified in advance, via postcard and phone, as to when their meter will be changed out. During the installation, members can expect a brief power interruption. Following the swap, the next billing statement will show two readings, one from the old meter and one from the new meter.
- Phase III Communications
- Letter to the Members Who Still Need Meters Replaced (mailed June 11, 2019)
- Letter Addressing Access Issues to GVEA Property (hand-delivered, as needed)
- Frequently Asked Questions (General)
- Frequently Asked Questions (Installation)
- Frequently Asked Questions (Billing & Meter Reading)
- Notification Postcard
- Door Hanger
- Purpose & Benefits
- Security & Health Facts
- Myth vs. Fact