Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR) Rule Compliance Data and Information
Healy Power Plant is comprised of two generating units:
- Healy Unit 1:
- Operational since 1967
- Healy Unit 2:
- Began burning coal in 1998, but was placed in warm-layup status until it was purchased from Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority (AIDEA) in December 2013 and came back online in May 2015
- The plant has been commercially operated since September 2018
- More information on Healy Unit 2 can be found here.
Coal Ash Handling Systems: Each generating unit has a different system.
- Healy Unit 1: The existing coal ash handying system, constructed in the 1990s, consists of a primary settlng pond (Ash Pond), a Recirculating Pond, and Emergency Overflow Pond, and an Ash Drying Area (defined as CCR landfill per CCR Rule). All three ponds are incised with storage volume less than 20 acre-feet and height less than 20 feet. Coal ash from the Ash Pond is placed in the Ash Drying Area where excess water drains and evaporates prior to transport and disposal at Usibelli Coal Mine (UCM). The ash settling ponds and the Ash Drying Area make up the four CCR units regulated under the CCR Rule.
- Healy Unit 2: A dry handling process is used to manage the generated coal ash. Unit 2's coal ash is intermediately stored in silos prior to transport and disposal at the UCM.
- Location Restriction Demonstrations (Oct 4, 2018) [§257.60(c)(1), §257.61(c)(1), §257.62(c)(1), §257.63(c)(1), §257.64(d)(1)]
- Design Criteria
- Documentation of Liner Type [§257.71(a)(1)]
- Operating Criteria
- CCR Fugitive Dust Control Plan (dated Nov 2015) [§257.80(b)(5)]
- Annual Fugitive Dust Control Report [§257.80(c)]
- Run-on Run-off Control System Plan [§257.81(c)(3)]
- Inflow Design Flood Control System Plan [§257.82(c)(3)]
- Structural Integrity Assessment [§257.73(a)(1) through (a)(4), and 275.73(c) through (f)] - Exempt, all three surface impoundments are incised with capabilities less than 20 acre-feet and heights less than 20 feet.
- Annual Surface Impoundment Report [§257.84(b)(3)] - Exempt, all three surface impoundments not subject to the periodic structural stability assessment, since capacity <20 acre-feet and height <20 feet.
- Annual Landfill Inspection Report [§257.84(b)(3)]
- Other CCR-required information will be posted when it is available.
- Groundwater Monitoring and Corrective Action
- Groundwater Monitoring System & Statistical Method Certification Oct 2017 [§257.91(f) and §257.93(f)(6)]
- Annual Groundwater Monitoring and Corrective Action Reports [§257.90(e)]
- Notification: Establishment of Assessment Monitoring and Constituents in Appendix IV of the CCR Rule Exceeded the Groundwater Protection Standard (2018) [§257.94(e)(3)]
- Notification: Constituents in Appendix IV of the CCR Rule Exceeded the Groundwater Protection Standard (2019) [§257.95(g)]
- Notification: Constituents in Appendix IV of the CCR Rule Exceeded the Groundwater Protection Standard (2020) [§257.95(g)]
- Notification: Initiation of Corrective Measure Assessment (June 18, 2018) [§257.95(g)(5)]
- Corrective Measures Assessment Report (Aug 2018) [§257.96(d)]
- Other CCR-related information will be posted when it is available.
- Closure and Post-Closure Care
- Retrofit Criteria [§257.102(k)]