Update to GVEA Members on Coronavirus Response
March 24, 2020 - Fairbanks, AK
To ensure the safety of our employees and our members, GVEA has taken measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and is following all mandates and recommendations set forth by the state and CDC.
Member Offices Temporarily Closed Until Further Notice
GVEA offices located in Fairbanks, Delta and Nenana are temporarily closed to the public. For assistance with signing up for service, disconnecting service or account management, members can contact our service representatives by phone at 907-452-1151 (or 800-770-4832) between 8am and 5pm Monday through Friday.
Payment Arrangements for Members Impacted by COVID-19
GVEA is urging members who are experiencing financial hardships caused by COVID-19 to contact our Member Services department to address any concerns or make payment arrangements.
Effective March 19, 2020 GVEA temporarily suspended:
- Service disconnects for non-payment; and
- Assessment of late payments fees
Members should continue to make payments on time, as able, since monthly bills will continue to be sent out.
Bill Paying Options Available
GVEA encourages its members to use the “My Account” member portal platform at www.gvea.com to pay bills, manage their accounts and track daily usage. Consider using one of these alternative methods to make a payment:
- Payment drop boxes available at Fairbanks, Delta & Nenana
- Your payment will be processed the next working day.
- Interactive Voice Recognition phone system
- Simply call 452-1151 (or 800-770-4832) and follow the prompts.
- Note: You'll need your account number.
- Go to www.gvea.com
- GV E-Bill (pay your bill on-line 24/7)
- Use MY ACCOUNT to pay bills, manage account, track usage
- Note: You'll need your account number to create an account.
- GVEA's Mobile App
- Download the app from the Apple Store or Google Play.
- Note: You'll need your account number.
- Bill Payment Kiosk
- Available at the Delta Junction office 24/7
- Fairbanks kiosk accessible from 6am - 9pm, 7 days a week
- Courtesy Phone
- Available in the Fairbanks entryway 8am - 5pm, Mon. - Fri.
Annual Meeting Scheduled for May 7
GVEA’s annual members’ meeting is scheduled for May 7, 2020. We are looking at alternative ways to bring the meeting to our members using streaming and video capabilities or potentially postponing the meeting. We’ll advertise meeting specifics closer to the date.
Director Elections Continue
On May 15, ballots will be mailed to all members in Districts 1, 2 and 3 and must be received by 5pm on June 9 - electronically or by mail. Learn more at gvea.com/inside/directors/elections.
Maintaining Operations and Electric Service
GVEA is committed to the safety and well-being of our employees and ensuring that we continue to meet the electrical needs of our members and the communities we serve. Therefore, GVEA has taken additional steps during this COVID-19 outbreak. Employees who can work from home are encouraged to do so. Employee contact within the workplace has also been limited with primary communications occurring by phone and email. For those who must be physically present at work, additional sanitation and disinfecting supplies have been provided. GVEA is following the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), along with local and state directives. Our executive team has also developed a contingency plan, if other situations arise, to ensure we have pertinent operations personnel such as dispatchers, linemen, and plant operators available. GVEA is closely monitoring the rapidly evolving issues and will make adjustments to our operations accordingly to continue to provide seamless power service to our members.
Reduce Your Energy Use
The closures of schools and businesses due to the coronavirus will likely result in families spending more time at home and possibly using more electricity. Here are some ways you can reduce your energy use at home:
- Turn off lights and use energy efficient LED bulbs
- Turn off electronics when not in use, and limit activity on devices that use continuous power, such as gaming consoles, computers and televisions
- Use electronic power strips for devices that you can turn off when not in use
- Set your thermostat to a lower temperature and wear additional layers around the house to stay warm
- For more energy efficiency tips, visit: http://www.gvea.com/resources/save
GVEA's Ready for Forecasted Winter Storm
March 19, 2020 - Fairbanks, AK
GVEA is monitoring the winter weather advisory that is in effect through midnight Friday, March 20, which reads:
Snow and blowing snow is expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches, with localized amounts up to 7 inches are expected in some areas. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph will cause areas of blowing and drifting snow. Winds may cause power outages as trees may fall on power lines.
To report an outage, members are asked to call GVEA and follow the phone system prompts. The number is (907) 452-1151 (or 1-800-770-4832).
GVEA remains staffed and committed to providing members with quality electric service. We also recommend that members take steps to be prepared in the event of a power outage. Check out GVEA’s outage page by clicking here. GVEA also recommends unplugging any sensitive electronic equipment that’s not in use until after this weather event has passed.