GVEA's Solar Project
Watch the Construction Take Place (Live feed from onsite camera, which is facing south from the substation)
Current Construction Activity:
- July 9 to 13: foundation work in progress
- June 18 to 29: survey work
GVEA signed a contract with ABS Alaskan, Inc. to install the solar array panels for GVEA's Solar Project. The location will be on GVEA property near Van Horn Road, south of the GVEA's Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) and Wilson Substation facilities.
Here are the details:
- Size: 563 kW Solar PV System
- Annual energy production is estimated to equal the annual energy used in 71 homes (using an average of 660 kWh/month).
- Footprint is 3 acres
- Panel manufacturer: CSUN
- Each of the 1,760 panels will generate 320 watts.
- Contractor: ABS Alaskan, Inc.
- Estimated to be online: October 2018
- Cost: $850,000 after a $225,000 grant supplied from United States Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Energy for America Program (REAP)
Pictured below: An artist's rendition of what the installed panels will look like.